Paris (AFP) – Former Portugal international Sergio Conceicao made a winning start as Nantes manager with a 3-1 victory over Montpellier in the last 16 of the French League Cup on Tuesday.
Argentine striker Emiliano Sala struck either side of a Kevin Berigaud goal at the Stade de la Beaujoire as Nantes became the first team through to the quarter-finals.
Poland international Mariusz Stepinski added a third for Nantes on the hour, although the hosts played out the final few minutes with 10 men after the dismissal of Abdoulaye Toure.
The relegation-threatened Breton club appointed Conceicao last Thursday to succeed Rene Girard with Nantes languishing second from bottom in the French top flight.
Conceicao, 42, formerly held the reins at Olhanense, Academica de Coimbra, Braga and then Vitoria Guimaraes in his homeland.
Three-time champions Marseille travel to Sochaux, the only second-tier side left in the competition, later on Tuesday, while holders Paris Saint-Germain host Lille on Wednesday in a repeat of last year’s final.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season