Stoke City attacking midfielder Brek Shea scored the only goal of the game to give the United States men’s national team its fifth Gold Cup trophy after defeating Panama 1-0 in Chicago at Soldier Field.
The victory in the Gold Cup final means that the United States is one step closer to qualifying for the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup. The US team will face the winner of the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup to decide who will play in Russia in 2017.
While today’s win for the United States means that national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann has won his first trophy as US coach, the victory was soured by an injury to US midfielder Stuart Holden who suffered a sprained right knee in the 18th minute of the game, which is the same injury he suffered against Manchester United a couple of years ago. Holden will have his right knee evaluated by medical experts to determine the extent of the injury. It could mean bad news for his club team Bolton Wanderers and his chances of playing in the remaining World Cup qualifiers.
Here are highlights from the US 1-0 Panama:
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo