Current Leeds United majority owner Andrea Radrizzani is reportedly considering a bid to buy Inter Milan. Bloomberg suggests that the potential deal could be worth around $1.1 billion. There are, however, a few contingencies that must happen for the Italian businessman to make the move.
First, Radrizzani must sell his portion of Leeds to 49ers Enterprises. The Italian, through his organization Aser Holding Group, currently owns 56% of the Premier League club. The American-led 49ers group holds the remaining 44% of Leeds. 49ers Enterprises is currently negotiating a final price to fully take over the West Yorkshire team.
SF 49ers exec to own Premier League club
If the deal goes through, Paraag Marathe, the president of 49ers Enterprises, would become the next owner of Leeds. Marathe also helps run the National Football League’s San Francisco 49ers as well. It remains to be seen how much he will be involved in the NFL franchise should he move to Leeds though.
“We feel like we have pretty good experience in running a sports organization,” Marathe recently told the Sports Business Journal. “We feel like we’ve done a pretty good job in transforming the 49ers, from an asset value standpoint, commercial revenue standpoint, and on the field.”
Marathe says his group understands business. “We know how to transition from a lemonade stand to a more sophisticated business operation.”
This deal is also dependent on Leeds remaining in the Premier League. The Whites are currently 16th in the English top flight table, just two points from the relegation zone.
Leeds owner competition to buy Inter Milan
Assuming the issues with Leeds pan out, it is also not guaranteed that Radrizzani will automatically purchase Inter. The aforementioned news outlet claims that Bahrain-based Investcorp has interest in the Italian club as well. Headed by Mohammed Alardhi, the company previously invested in luxury brands such as Gucci and Tiffany.
Representatives for Aser, Investcorp, and Inter all declined to comment on the matter. Despite recent success in the Serie A, the Italian club has struggled financially. In fact, Bloomberg suggests that Inter will be receiving a $300 million credit line next month.
PHOTO: IMAGO / ZUMA Wire
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo