Liga MX’s domination on United States television continues this week with the news that 4.8 million viewers tuned in to watch Club América win the Liga MX Apertura Liguilla Final 2-0 on aggregate over two legs.
The first leg of the series, which aired Thursday, December 13, averaged 2.3 million viewers, ended in a 0-0 tie. In the second leg, played on Sunday night, the Liga MX Gran Final championship series between powerhouses Club América and Cruz Azul was the most-watched Liga MX match of 2018, averaging 2.5 million viewers for a combined total of 4.8 million viewers across both games on Univision and Univision Deportes.
For the fourth quarter of 2018, Univision Deportes has accounted for 53% of the country’s soccer viewership on TV.
New to Univision in 2018, Univision Deportes delivered the most-watched UEFA Champion League Group Stage round ever in the U.S., regardless of language, with its 60 linear telecasts generating a total of 695 million minutes watched and reaching 14 million viewers. Since the beginning of its first Champions League as UEFA’s official television partner, Univision Deportes has aired nine of the top ten Group Stage matches of all-time, led by its broadcast of Liverpool vs. Paris Saint-Germain on September 18, which delivered 672,000 viewers.
Matches airing on Univision and simulcast on UDN averaged 548,000 viewers. Across the Univision Deportes linear portfolio, the 60 matches finished with an average of 172,000 viewers. In addition to the 60 matches aired across linear networks Univision, UniMás, UDN and Galavisión on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, all 96 Group Stage contests streamed live on UnivisionDeportes.com and the Univision Deportes app.
Univision Deportes’ comprehensive coverage of the UEFA Champions League continues February 12 with the Round of 16 and runs through the Final in Madrid on June 1.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ