Berlin (AFP) – RB Leipzig earned a third straight away win in a week as Christopher Nkunku’s late goal Sunday sealed a hard-fought 1-0 victory at Bochum to keep his club fourth in the Bundesliga.
Having scored twice against Bochum in Leipzig’s home win last October, Nkunku broke the deadlock eight minutes from time with his 14th Bundesliga goal this season.
Leipzig backed up last Sunday’s 6-1 romp at Hertha Berlin and midweek victory at Real Sociedad which confirmed the German club’s place in the last 16 of the Europa League.
Bochum suffered their first defeat in five games, a run which included a shock 4-2 win over Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich a fortnight ago in their previous home match.
The hosts had a great chance at their Vonovia Ruhrstadion ground when captain Anthony Losilla clipped the woodwork with a header from a free-kick with 20 minutes left.
The winner came when Leipzig coach Domenico Tedesco beefed up his midfield by swapping playmaker Emil Forsberg for replacement Stefan Laimer.
The switch paid off almost immediately as Leipzig attacked from their own box.
The ball was worked to Nkunku, who swept his shot into the bottom corner to delight the travelling fans.
Later, second-placed Borussia Dortmund can trim Bayern’s nine-point lead at the top of the table when they face Augsburg away.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season