Newcastle United were robbed of one of the goals of the season today after Cheick Tiote’s long-range effort against Manchester City was disallowed by referee Mike Jones.
After the goal was scored, the match officials discussed the incident and disallowed it, awarding a free kick to Manchester City instead. There were two players in an offside position, but they weren’t interfering with the play. The goal should have stood.
Referee Mike Jones was in a better position and closer to the incident than the assistant referee was. And Joe Hart had a clear sight of the shot and his view was not impeded.
As the players exited the pitch after the half-time whistle was blown, Alan Pardew said the following to referee Mike Jones: “The linesman’s right, you are wrong and you know that. You know that.”
Tiote’s goal was incredible, but was it better than his goal he scored in the 4-4 draw against Arsenal in February, 2011?
Here’s a video clip of that famous goal that stood:
Editor’s note: For more Newcastle United news, analysis and opinion, visit the Newcastle United team page.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo