London (AFP) – The Premier League on Tuesday announced Alison Brittain as its first female chair after clubs “voted unanimously in favour” of her appointment.
The CEO of hospitality business Whitbread will take over from interim chairman Peter McCormick early next year.
“I have been a football fan since I was a child and so am absolutely delighted to be appointed chair of the Premier League,” she said in a statement.
“The game is of enormous national importance, is loved by so many people around the world and can have a tremendous positive impact on communities.
“It will be a real privilege to be able to help to develop plans for the future and work with all the key stakeholders in the game to ensure its long-term sustainability and success.”
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters welcomed the appointment of Brittain.
“She has a tremendous track record in business, gets things done with a down-to-earth style and is well-respected and liked in all the industries she has worked,” he said.
“She also has a keen interest in the game and how it can develop further and I am very much looking forward to working with her.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Napoli on the up after hot start, big transfer deals
- Werner says Leipzig can still ‘annoy’ Bayern despite early season stumbles
- Liverpool clash threatens more misery for Man Utd
- Barcelona looking for ‘patience’ despite spending spree
- Will Mbappe and Neymar flourish together this season for PSG?
- Qatar buses feel the World Cup heat in tournament test
- Scamacca opens West Ham account in Conference League win
- Mbappé and Neymar feud adds heat to PSG vs Lille clash
- Conte not expecting touchline ban after Tuchel clash
- Mendy rape accuser details alleged attack in locked room at his mansion