London (AFP) – Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s time at Manchester United could come to an end as early as this week with a move to Major League Soccer in the pipeline, according to a report on Thursday.
Ibrahimovic, whose contract expires in June, has made just seven appearances for United this season on his return from a cruciate knee ligament injury.
“Zlatan Ibrahimovic has played his last game for Manchester United,” said an ESPN report.
“He is close to sealing a move to Major League Soccer this week following persistent links to LA Galaxy.”
The Galaxy have a history of luring ageing stars to America with David Beckham, Steven Gerard and Robbie Keane among those to have made the move to Los Angeles.
Ibrahimovic, 36, hasn’t featured at all for Jose Mourinho’s side since being substituted at half-time in a 2-2 draw with Burnley on December 26.
The Swede scored 28 goals in 46 appearances during a stunning first season in England before tearing knee ligaments in a Europa League tie against Anderlecht in April.
His form was rewarded with an extension of his contract for a second season, but the £75 million ($105 million) signing of Romelu Lukaku saw him slip down the pecking order at Old Trafford.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ