Doha (AFP) – Former Barcelona great Xavi Hernandez has become an “ambassador” for a key initiative run by Qatar 2022 World Cup organisers, officials in Doha said on Wednesday.
Xavi, 36, who now plays for Al Sadd in the Qatar Stars League, will become the public face of the “Generation Amazing” programme and will visit a refugee camp in Jordan later this week to hold training sessions with youngsters there.
In a statement on the website of the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, the body overseeing the organisation of the controversial World Cup in Qatar, the star midfielder said it was a “privilege” to undertake his new role.
“I try to help as much as I can and have done so in all my life, both in Spain through my academy for youngsters and now here in Qatar,” said Xavi.
The “Generation Amazing” initiative — which according to the committee’s website “uses the power of football to inspire and accelerate development” — aims to counter some of the intense criticism Qatar has received for hosting the World Cup.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo