It was all going all too swimmingly in the run-up to the World Cup, wasn’t it England supporters? That vindaloo dinner was digesting so well. A triumphant qualifying campaign, including two supremely satisfying Croatia thumpings. A seemingly straightforward World Cup draw. Rooney on a rampage. Capello’s calm command with his coif stiff against the breeze helping to erase memories of Steve McClaren standing dumbfounded beneath that brolly.
First came John Terry’s sexual shenanigans, emergency trips to Dubai and all. Then came Landon Donovan’s challenge on Ashley Cole, causing Cashley to break his left angle. And in a most delicious irony, Wayne Bridge is amongst the leading candidates to replace Cole at left-back. No doubt the tabloids will be in a tizzy.
But what of England’s chances now? Does this change your mind on the pecking order in Group C? Who replaces Cole in the interim? Should Cole play in the World Cup if he doesn’t recover until after Chelsea’s season ends? How much blame do you heap on Donovan? Whose absence is more catastrophic, Charlie Davies for the USA or Cole for England? Should Cole play in the World Cup if he doesn’t recover until after Chelsea’s season ends? And just where will Chelsea be at season’s end if Cole plays no part? Have at it.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $10.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $14.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo