Brussels (AFP) – Ex-Netherlands internationals Ruud van Nistelrooy and Maarten Stekelenburg will join the national team’s coaching set-up for Euro 2020, the Dutch Football Association (KNVB) announced on Tuesday.
Former Manchester United striker Van Nistelrooy, 43, will be released from his role as PSV Eindhoven’s youth coach for the competition.
“It is a wonderful opportunity for me as an assistant coach to be part of the staff of the Orange for this final tournament,” van Nistelrooy said in a KNVB statement.
Stekelenburg, 47, starts his role alongside boss Ronald Koeman immediately.
“After all the great years with the KNVB youth teams, this is of course an excellent opportunity to work at the highest level,” said Stekelenburg, who coached the Dutch under 19 side.A
After friendlies against the United States and Spain, Koeman’s side face Austria, Ukraine and one of the four playoff winners in Amsterdam in Group C.
Forward Memphis Depay is a doubt for the Netherlands’ first major finals appearance since 2014 after he was ruled out for up to six months with a knee injury suffered last weekend playing for club Lyon.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season