Tony Adams has undergone minor heart surgery in Azerbaijan – an operation the former England and Arsenal defender has said saved his life.
After racking up 669 appearances and 10 major trophies with the Gunners, the 49-year-old moved into management with Wycombe, Portsmouth and then Gabala. Adams is now the Azerbaijani club’s director of football and recently went under the knife after feeling unwell.
MORE ARSENAL: Wenger: Bayern trip ‘good opportunity’ to show Arsenal’s progress.
“After feeling some acute chest pain whilst exercising in Azerbaijan, and liaising with Gabala Club doctors, I went to The Medical Plaza Hospital in Baku where I was admitted for an angiogram, and then following diagnosis of a severely blocked vein, an immediate angioplasty,” Adams said in a statement.
“The brilliant surgeons at the Medical Plaza did a fantastic job – as has been reiterated to me by my cardiologist in the UK.
“I know full well that without the brilliance of Dr Uzeyir Rahimov and his team I would not be alive now: a minor heart operation saved my life.
“I can’t begin to thank Tale Heydarov and all at Gabala Football Club, as well as the Cardiac Unit at the Medical Plaza Baku enough.
“I would just like to say that if you, like me, have a history of heart disease in your family and you feel chest pains, get yourself to the doctor’s now.”
Adams is now said to be recuperating with his family in the UK, while Gabala travel to Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League on Thursday.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season