Newcastle beat Everton on Thursday at Goodison Park, 4-1. Callum Wilson’s brace highlighted the road victory for the Magpies. The loss by the hosts only piles more pressure on Everton to avoid relegation.

The two typical mid-table teams are in drastically different places in the Premier League table. Newcastle are sitting third in the standings and looking for a Champions League place. They have not featured in the top European competition since 2002. Everton, on the other hand, have been poor all season. The Toffees are struggling to remain in the league and entered the night in 19th place. They have not been relegated from the top flight since 1951.

Wilson opens the scoring for Newcastle

The visitors would eventually score first on the night. Joelinton made a good move out on the left flank to cut back and beat Ben Godfrey at the edge of the Everton box. The Brazilian fired a hard shot toward Jordan Pickford and the English goalkeeper could only deflect the ball back toward the center of the box. Callum Wilson pounced first and fired the rebound into the back of the net.

Calvert-Lewin put the ball into the back of the net with a neat finish just moments before halftime. The center forward dinked a shot over the top of Nick Pope after a free run on goal. However, the linesman raised his flag once the ball went into the net. Replays showed the Everton striker was just inches offside prior to receiving the pass.

Joelinton doubled Newcastle’s lead in the 72nd minute. Joe Willock made a great run into the Everton box by running passed Godfrey once again. He then lifted a pass over the opposing defenders to Joelinton’s head. The midfielder nodded the ball low and into the corner of Pickford’s goal. It was the former striker’s sixth Premier League goal this season.

Newcastle pounds Everton at Goodison in second half

Wilson would then get his brace just three minutes later. Bruno Guimarães picked up the ball near the center circle, dribbled easily toward goal, and found Wilson at the edge of the box. The striker hit a beautiful curled shot into the top corner of the net. Pickford made an attempt to save the strike, but there was no saving that shot.

Everton grabbed a goal back in the 80th minute with a strike by Dwight McNeil. The attacker scored directly from a corner kick. Newcastle defenders failed to deal with the cross and the ball eventually ended up in the net.

The visitors would, however, get their three-goal cushion back within a minute. Alexander Isak created the goal by running through three different Everton defenders near the end line. After gliding by the defensive trio, the Swedish striker played a pass across goal to a wide-open Jacob Murphy. Murphy easily put the ball into the open net.

The win solidifies Newcastle’s hopes of securing a top-four place in the table. They are now alongside Manchester United in a Champions League place and eight points ahead of fifth-placed Aston Villa. Everton stays 19th in the standings because of the heavy defeat. The Toffees are now two points from safety.