Jordan Amavi will undergo scans in France on Friday as Aston Villa wait for further news on his fitness. The left back suffered a knee injury in France under-21s’ 1-0 win over Northern Ireland on Thursday.
Press Association Sport understands France’s medical team is optimistic the injury is not as bad as first feared after he went down making a challenge in the second half. He went to hospital and Under-21 coach Pierre Mankowski insisted it is too early to tell if Amavi’s season is over.
SEE MORE: Garde wants Villa’s dressing room speaking English.
He told a press conference after the game: “The first information that we have available is that it is a knee sprain. We don’t know yet if the ligaments are ruptured. It’s too soon to say that.”
Should the injury be serious it would be a major blow to new boss Remi Garde.
The 21-year-old defender joined Villa from Nice in the summer as part of Tim Sherwood’s summer rebuilding but Garde replaced Sherwood earlier this month with Villa bottom of the Barclays Premier League.
Amavi has made 12 appearances and was recalled by Garde for his first game in charge as Villa drew 0-0 with Manchester City to end a run of seven straight defeats last Sunday.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season