Qatari artist Bouthayna Al Muftah and FIFA have revealed the Official World Cup poster for Qatar 2022, a celebration of football and Qatari and Arab culture.
The design is mostly in black-and-white, with highlights of the dark burgundy color of the Qatar flag in the official tournament logo and traditional Telstar-style ball. The imagery depicts traditional local headwear (the ‘gutra’ and ‘egal’) being thrown in the air – a common celebration amongst soccer fans in the region. Traditional headwear is a theme throughout the tournament, from the World Cup logo, the mascot, and even one of the stadium designs.
“My main inspiration was the concept of collective memory,” said Al Muftah. “Most of my work focuses on past experiences, memories, tying them to the present and archiving them in a contemporary manner. I wanted the posters to follow this theme and tell the story of Qatar’s football culture.”
FIFA Marketing Director Jean-François Pathy added “The Official Poster for Qatar 2022 is an atmospheric reflection of Qatar’s artistic and football heritage. We are very proud of this beautiful series of posters that portray Qatar’s passion for football and shines a global spotlight on such a talented, female local artist.”
A different Official World Cup Poster, to say the least
It’s a dynamic image that gives off the feeling of motion and excitement, and certainly a novel choice to forgo the more obvious subjects in the stark natural beauty of the desert/sea, sparkling futuristic Doha skyline, and shiny new stadiums and instead focus on a single aspect of the culture that is able to tell a story.
The official poster for 2022 is certainly not as colorful as the posters created for the different host cities at World Cup 2018.
In 2022, here’s hoping we get a tournament that sends a lot of headwear into the air!
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Bale confirms MLS move to Los Angeles FC
- Bale heading to MLS with LAFC move: reports
- Where to find Austin FC vs. FC Dallas on US TV
- Nominate best soccer coverage across video, audio & written word
- Forest sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Union Berlin
- Where to find River Plate vs. Lanús on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- World Cup tickets on sale and in high demand
- Euro hosts England thrash reigning champions Netherlands in friendly
- Man City agree deal for Leeds midfielder Phillips: reports