Lisbon (AFP) – Joao Mario has signed a five-year contract with Benfica the Lisbon club announced on Tuesday, a day after Inter Milan terminated the Portugal midfielder’s contract.
The 28-year-old has won 45 caps for Portugal and started in the final as the country won the 2016 Euros but he was not part of the Euro 2020 squad.
He joined Inter in 2016 for a reported fee of 45 million euros (50.3 million dollars) and made 64 appearances but also went out on a series of loans. He spent time at West Ham in 2017-18 and at Lokomotiv Moscow in 2019-20.
Last season he was sent out to Sporting and helped Lisbon’s other big club win a first Portuguese league title in 19 years.
Portuguese media reported that Sporting, who wanted to keep the player and had made an offer to Inter Milan, will challenge the transfer in court, alleging fraudulent practices.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams
- PSG’s Gueye asked to explain absence after homophobia accusations
- Europa League Final on TV: Rangers vs. Frankfurt details
- Liverpool’s Klopp has ‘no reason’ to talk to Gerrard before title climax