Saturday’s World Cup encounter between Mexico and South Korea averaged more than 11 million viewers on US television across Telemundo and FOX combined.
Mexico beat Korea Republic, 2-1, delivering 4,433,000 viewers across FOX, the second-most-watched match of this year’s tournament on FOX or FS1. Meanwhile, Telemundo averaged 6.6 million TV-only viewers for Mexico-South Korea in the two-hour match window and 6.02 million for the full coverage (10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. ET), ranking as the network’s second most-watched sporting event ever (behind last Sunday’s Mexico-Germany match) and the 9th most-watched World Cup match in Spanish-language history (393 matches through Saturday, including World Cup finals, since 1994).
As a total average between FOX and Telemundo combined, the viewing audience for Mexico-Korea averaged 11,033,000 viewers, which is just shy of the 11,122,000 average for Mexico-Germany.
Of note, Telemundo’s TV-only viewership for El Tri’s 2-1 victory peaked at 7.61 million.
Also, Telemundo is reporting that the game averaged a Total Audience Delivery of 7.2 million viewers across Telemundo, TelemundoDeportes.com, and the Telemundo Deportes En Vivo and NBC Sports apps, according to live plus same day fast national data released today by Nielsen, and digital data from Adobe Analytics.
Telemundo’s numbers are even more impressive given that FOX Sports, who have been broadcasting games on the over-the-air FOX network and FS1, are in 116 million homes (FOX) and 84 million homes (FS1) respectively. Telemundo is in more than 53 million homes in the United States.
• Cord cutter’s guide to World Cup 2018
• World Cup shirts for all 32 teams
• FAQ on World Cup TV coverage in USA
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season