Manchester United look set to sign Monaco striker Anthony Martial after the 19-year-old was given permission to leave France’s international camp to travel to the club.
Martial had been called up by France coach Didier Deschamps for his squad to play friendlies against Serbia and Portugal.
A statement on the French Football Federation website read: “Anthony Martial requested permission from Didier Deschamps to travel to England to sign a contract with Manchester United.
“Given the exceptional circumstances, the coach has agreed to the request of the player.”
Martial is due to return to Clairefontaine on Tuesday morning, the FFF added.
Martial had only signed a new contract with Monaco in June but the size of the fee – £36million, according to one report – might explain why the club were prepared to sell him.
After he signed the new deal, Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev declared Martial as “untransferable” – Tottenham had also shown interest in the player.
Vasilyev said then: “He was being contacted by some of Europe’s biggest clubs but we wanted to make sure that he continues his development with AS Monaco. What Anthony has been able to achieve at just 19 years of age is impressive, to say the least, but the best is yet to come.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo