West Bromwich (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Egyptian international defender Ahmed Hegazi scored the only goal as West Brom edged Bournemouth 1-0 in their Premier League opener on Saturday.
It was a deserved three points for the Baggies who had a hatful of chances to win by a more convincing scoreline.
Hegazi caught the eye of coach Tony Pulis during the Africa Cup of Nations earlier this year, in which the centre-back helped Egypt to a runners-up finish.
Brought in on a season-long loan from Al Ahly, the 26-year-old settled the match at the Hawthorns after 32 minutes.
He was first to a free-kick from Chris Brunt and powered his header past Amir Begovic in the Bournemouth goal.
The win ended a run of four successive home losses for West Brom, which dented their campaign late last season.
In truth, they could have had more goals with Matt Phillips, Jay Rodriguez and Claudio Yacob all going close, as did substitute Salmon Rondon who blazed a late shot over the crossbar.
Bournemouth’s Nathan Ake had his team’s best chance in the second half but only managed to head straight at goalkeeper Ben Foster.
Even the second-half introduction of veteran England striker Jermain Defoe failed to lift Bournemouth.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season