Berlin (AFP) – RB Leipzig have signed Spanish teenager Ilaix Moriba from Barcelona on a five-year contract as a replacement for their Bayern Munich-bound captain Marcel Sabitzer, the Bundesliga club confirmed Tuesday.
According to Sky, Leipzig have paid 15 million euros ($17.7 million) plus bonus fees for the 18-year-old central midfielder, who made 18 appearances for Barcelona last season.
“I’m confident that Leipzig is the right place for me to take the next step in my career,” Moriba said in a statement.
“We have big goals this season and I can’t wait to take on this challenge at Leipzig.”
The German club reportedly beat Tottenham Hotspur to sign the Spain Under-19 midfielder.
“We were able to sign an exceptional talent. We are very proud that he chose RB Leipzig,” said Leipzig’s commercial director Florian Scholz.
Moriba has been signed to fill the midfield role of Sabizter, who joined Bayern on Monday.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo