London (AFP) – Pep Guardiola is hopeful Ilkay Gundogan won’t be sidelined for long after the Manchester City star was injured on his return from a serious knee problem.
Leroy Sane’s double earned City a 2-1 League Cup third round win at West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday, but the victory was tarnished when Gundogan limped off in the second half.
The German midfielder was making his first start since December after recovering from a major knee ligament injury.
When Gundogan crashed to the turf after Claudio Yacob tackled him from behind on Wednesday, it was feared he had suffered another big injury.
Gundogan will have a scan on his left knee, the opposite one than he injured before, and was clearly in pain when he came off, but Guardiola expects him back soon.
“I think it’s not serious, it’s not eight months, but a little injury. Unfortunately the action is tough. He will be back soon hopefully,” Guardiola said.
“Tomorrow we will make a test. The physio and doctor told me it’s not big issue.
“I’ll have to review (Yacob’s tackle). It’s from behind but I don’t know if he touched the ball or not. I didn’t see the image. Fortunately Gundogan is coming back soon.
“I suffer for him. He was on the grass and at that moment you think the wrong situation.
“You can’t imagine, for eight months, to be fighting every day alone.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo