Everton midfielder Darron Gibson crashed his car into a cyclist before driving off and hitting a petrol pump while over the drink-driving limit, it has been alleged.
The 27-year-old midfielder was reportedly driving a black Nissan Skyline GT-R Nismo luxury sports car when it is claimed he hit the bike near his home in Altrincham, Cheshire, on Sunday night.
Police were called and charged the footballer with driving without due care and attention, driving with excess alcohol and failing to stop after a road traffic collision.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: "He has been bailed to appear at Trafford Magistrates' Court on Tuesday September 1.
SEE MORE: Read Everton’s 2015/16 season preview.
"This is in relation to an incident on Sunday August 16 where police were called to reports that a car had collided with a cyclist on Park Road, Trafford, and failed to stop before pulling into a petrol station on nearby Dunham Road and colliding with a pump."
Gibson, a Republic of Ireland international, began his career at Manchester United before joining Everton for around £1 million in 2012. He is currently out due to a groin injury.
An Everton spokesman declined to comment.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season