Singapore (AFP) – Lionel Messi’s Argentina will take on football minnows Singapore in a June friendly match in the city-state, organisers said Wednesday.
Argentina, ranked second in the world by FIFA, will kick off at the National Stadium against 159th placed Singapore on June 13 to mark the 125th anniversary of the island’s football association.
The match will feature a star-studded Argentina side, including Barcelona’s Messi, Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero and Paris Saint-Germain winger Angel Di Maria, the Football Association of Singapore and entertainment promoter UNICESS said.
As part of a four-nation tour, the world’s top team Brazil will take on Australia on the same night in Melbourne.
Argentina and Brazil will also play each other in a “Superclasico” friendly in the Australian city on June 9.
“I am looking forward to leading my country out against the two-time FIFA World Cup champions, and we hope that Singaporeans will come out in force to cheer us on,” said Singapore coach V. Sundramoorthy.
“A packed stadium on 13 June will make a huge difference and give our players the boost they need against a team with so many talented, world-class players.”
The Southeast Asian nation has only won one of their last 12 matches, and suffered eight losses in the process.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo