Paris (AFP) – World Cup holders France stuttered again in their bid to qualify for the 2022 finals in Qatar after a 1-1 draw in Ukraine, while Memphis Depay inspired the Netherlands to a rout of Montenegro on Saturday.
France drew their fifth successive match as Anthony Martial scored his first international goal in five years to earn Didier Deschamps’ side a point in Kiev.
The Manchester United forward, who missed Euro 2020 with a knee injury, grabbed just his second goal in 29 caps to cancel out a fine first-half strike by Ukraine midfielder Mykola Shaparenko.
Les Bleus remain four points clear at the top of Group D but have played two games more than Finland, who they host in Lyon on Tuesday. Joel Pohjanpalo’s second-half effort clinched Finland a 1-0 victory over Kazakhstan.
Ukraine have now drawn all five of their qualifiers so far, including both matches against France.
Depay led the Netherlands to a 4-0 defeat of Montenegro in Eindhoven that kept Louis van Gaal’s team right behind Group G leaders Turkey, who won 3-0 in Gibraltar.
Barcelona star Depay opened the scoring for the Dutch with a penalty and netted a second on the hour. Captain Georginio Wijnaldum added a slick third and Cody Gakpo bagged his first goal for the national team with a terrific curling shot.
Erling Haaland converted a spot-kick as he scored for the second game running in Norway’s 2-0 win against Latvia, with Mohamed Elyounoussi also on target in Oslo.
Norway and the Netherlands are both a point back of Turkey, who go to Amsterdam next week.
Marcelo Brozovic’s late goal gave Croatia a 1-0 victory away to Slovakia, ensuring the 2018 World Cup runners-up stayed level with Russia in Group H.
Russia beat Cyprus 2-0 away while Slovenia won 1-0 at home to Malta.
Denmark needed an 85th-minute effort from Jonas Wind to see off the Faroe Islands 1-0 and record a fifth win in as many outings in Group F.
Eran Zahavi followed up his hat-trick against the Faroes in midweek with two more goals to power Israel past Austria 5-2.
Scotland moved above Austria into third place as Lyndon Dykes’ early strike sealed a 1-0 home win over Moldova.
Aleksandar Mitrovic struck twice as Serbia defeated Luxembourg 4-1 to edge above Portugal on goal difference at the top of Group A.
A late Shane Duffy equaliser salvaged the Republic of Ireland a disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Azerbaijan.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family