Madrid (AFP) – A Copa del Rey match between rivals Sevilla and Real Betis was stopped on Saturday after Sevilla’s Joan Jordan was struck on the head by an object thrown from the crowd.
Nabil Fekir had just equalised for Betis in the 39th minute, scoring straight from a corner, when a long object thrown from the stand at the Benito Villamarin hit Jordan.
Jordan fell to the ground clutching his head and received treatment on the field. The midfielder was soon standing up again and appeared not to be seriously hurt.
The game was halted for around 10 minutes before referee Ricard De Burgos signalled it would be stopped. Some players walked down the tunnel while others put their tracksuits on and sat on the substitutes’ benches.
Papu Gomez had given Sevilla the lead in the 35th minute before Fekir’s stunning goal made it 1-1 four minutes later.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season