Amid the poor result Sunday at the Nou Camp, Barcelona club members and fans showed their displeasure with president Joan Laporta. In the dying minutes of thegame, fans became waving white towels symbolizing the members’ request for Laporta to step down. This act did not occur since 2003 and could symbolize the inevitable downfall of one of the most successful teams of the past few years.
Barcelona dominated Getafe, but Roberto Abbondanzieri and his best friends- the posts- exacerbated the situation for the culé faithful. The scoreless draw was part of the reason for the fans’ frustration. They once again had a chance to get closer to Real Madrid, but for a fourth time this year failed to do so.
Prior to the game Laporta spoke to the various fan affiliations and came out like a dictator. ¨He who does not think like me is an impostor, a hypocrite, and a traitor to barcelonismo¨. Statements like these do not help a president that is currently so unpopular. The discontent was not shown by the people at the stadium, it was shown by the empty seats. This match against Getafe was the lowest attended match so far this year.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo