Madrid (AFP) – Carlo Ancelotti admitted on Tuesday that Real Madrid will have to gamble if they are to come from behind to beat Manchester City in the semi-final of the Champions League.
Madrid trail 4-3 after a thrilling first leg in Manchester last week as they look to pull off another comeback and reach the club’s first Champions League final since 2018.
“If we sit deep, we won’t concede 99 shots and if we get into their box they are going have a go at us but sometimes you have to take risks,” Ancelotti said in a press conference ahead of the second leg on Wednesday.
“In these games we have scored a lot — four against PSG, five against Chelsea, three against City — so we have the quality to take risks.”
Real Madrid showed resilience and fight to come from behind against both Paris Saint-Germain in the last 16 and Chelsea in the quarter-finals, but Ancelotti said they will need more than just character to defeat City.
“You don’t get to a final only with your heart,” Ancelotti said. “Personality is an important part but you need individual quality, collective commitment — you need all this to reach a final, one of these things won’t be enough to get to the final.”
Luka Modric said the players are convinced they can go through as Real Madrid chase a 14th European Cup.
“We are very confident that we can come back, because we know that in the first match we did not play our best game and we still scored three goals,” Modric said.
“We have the quality and character and the history of this club, having the most Champions League titles, also makes a big difference.”
Real Madrid celebrated winning their 35th La Liga title on Saturday, as the players rode an open-top bus to meet thousands of fans at the city’s Plaza Cibeles, despite the second leg against City being just four days away.
“We really wanted to go to Cibeles because it had been a long time since we could celebrate a title with our fans,” Modric said. “We enjoyed it but as soon as it ended, we were focused on tomorrow’s game.
“It was a beautiful day and that’s it, the season is not over.”
Ancelotti confirmed that Real Madrid defender David Alaba will miss the game through injury and will be replaced by Nacho Fernandez. But Casemiro is fit again, handing Madrid a significant boost in midfield.
“Casemiro will help us,” Ancelotti said. “His return reinforces us defensively. I think we are going to see an improvement from the first leg.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- UK police probe Vieira pitch ‘altercation’ at Everton match
- Tuchel hails Chelsea ‘miracle’ after Kante injury issues
- Dutch striker Miedema signs new deal at Arsenal
- Trailblazing referee Yamashita proud of ‘dream’ World Cup role
- Dazzling but empty stadiums a symbol of China’s fading football dream
- Milan on brink of historic title as thrilling season heads down to the wire
- What is still at stake in Europe’s top leagues
- Granada aim to seal La Liga survival in three-way relegation fight
- Qatar World Cup marks last dance for Messi and Ronaldo
- Bordeaux, Saint-Etienne stand over relegation trapdoor on last day of season