London (AFP) – Wayne Rooney’s son Kai has followed in his father’s footsteps by signing for Manchester United.
United’s record goalscorer posted a picture on social media of the 11-year-old, the oldest of Rooney’s four sons, signing a contract at his father’s former club.
Rooney accompanied the image with the caption: “Proud day. Kai signing for @manchesterunited. Keep up the hard work son.”
Rooney, 38, now in interim charge of Championship club Derby, joined United from Everton in 2004 as a teenager.
The former England striker had a glittering 13-year career at Old Trafford, scoring 253 times in 559 appearances and breaking Bobby Charlton’s long-standing goals record in January 2017.
Coleen Rooney, Wayne Rooney’s wife, wrote on Instagram: “Special night….. congratulations Kai. I love you and I am so proud of you. Keep trying your best”.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo