Newcastle (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Ghanaian international midfielder Christian Atsu’s performances for Newcastle United in regaining their Premier League status earned him a permanent move from champions Chelsea on Wednesday.
The 25-year-old — who scored five goals in 32 Championship appearances as the Rafael Benitez-coached Magpies topped the table — signed a four-year contract for an undisclosed fee.
The transfer to Newcastle is subject to Atsu successfully reapplying for a work permit.
“We are happy to sign a good player,” Benitez told the club website.
“He’s shown us that he’s a good professional and someone who is very keen to learn and improve.
“Christian has been a key part of our promotion campaign and he wants to help us to build something for the future.”
Atsu, capped over 40 times and a member of the Ghana side that reached the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations final only to lose on penalties to Ivory Coast, never played a game for Chelsea after joining them for £3.5 million ($4.5m, 4m euros) in 2013 from Portuguese giants Porto.
Instead Chelsea loaned him out to Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem, Everton and Bournemouth as well as Spanish outfit Malaga.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season