London (AFP) – A thief was convicted Friday of trying to steal a £22,000 ($28,450, 23,900 euros) watch from West Ham and England striker Andy Carroll.
Motorbike-riding Jack O’Brien, 22, pulled up alongside Carroll’s Jeep Wrangler car near Hainault, north-east London, as the footballer was driving home from the Hammers’ training ground on November 2 last year.
Carroll told the trial at Basildon Crown Court east of London that he feared O’Brien had a gun when he drew level with him at a set of traffic lights and demanded he hand over the watch.
The 28-year-old Carroll was then pursued by two suspects on motorbikes as he tried to escape.
As a result, he was forced onto the wrong side of the road as he headed back to east London club West Ham’s training ground, which is protected by security staff.
O’Brien, who has past convictions for burglary, was found guilty of attempted robbery.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo