Paris (AFP) – Lyon goalkeeper Anthony Lopes will miss Sunday’s visit of Dijon in Ligue 1 with a one-match ban for scribbling out the name of arch rivals Saint-Etienne on his jersey.
Teams in this year’s French Cup are wearing special commemorative shirts to mark the 100th anniversary of the competition, with each featuring the names of all the former winners.
But during Lyon’s 2-1 extra-time defeat at Marseille in the last 32 last month, television cameras showed Portugal international Lopes had crossed out the reference to six-time champions Saint-Etienne.
Not only did the stunt fall foul of the French federation, but Lyon then finished with nine men in a 2-0 loss to Saint-Etienne in an ill-tempered Rhone derby five days later.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season