London (AFP) – West Ham United manager Slaven Bilic has hinted the injury-hit Premier League club could make a move for Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony.
Bilic had been looking for a new forward throughout the close-season, but his need has grown more urgent after injuries to three of his main attacking options.
Club-record signing Andre Ayew was injured on his debut at Chelsea in the opening Premier League game of the campaign and faces a four-month lay-off.
Then last weekend Bilic learnt former Liverpool targetman Andy Carroll could miss up to six weeks with a knee problem sustained in a Europa League tie, while Diafra Sakho is also currently sidelined.
Bilic desperately needs a striker before the transfer window closes and Bony is on his wanted list.
Bony has struggled for playing time since his move to City in 2015 and the 27-year-old Ivory Coast international is available for transfer after he was recently omitted from Pep Guardiola’s Champions League squad for the qualifier against Steaua Bucharest.
Asked on Wednesday about a potential move for the former Swansea City star, Bilic told reporters: “He is a good player. He is an option because he plays in the position where, even before the injuries, we tried to sign a player — he is a centre-forward.
“I don’t negotiate. I’m just the manager. I just say to the chairmen and (chief scout) Tony Henry, we talk and then they do it.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo