- Houston beat Los Angeles 3-1 last night at the Home Depot Center to jump Chivas (who drew with Colorado earlier in the day) in the Western standings and clinch a playoff spot. The Galaxy’s continued poor play has yet to result in any changes to Frank Yallop’s status as coach although I would certainly expect Landon Donovan to be dealt in the offseason either to San Jose or sold to a club abroad.
- Chivas USA’s draw with Colorado kept the Rapids just one point behind Chicago for the last playoff spot. I cannot over emphasize the boost Conor Casey whose early MLS form was poor has given to the Rapids. Casey who was an accomplished player in the Bundesliga but seems to have never cracked the code to be effective for the US National Team finally seems comfortable in MLS and he is the single reason Colorado is back in the playoffs race.
- It occurred to me in a conversation with Johnathan Starling last night (BC John) that even though MLS is consistently maligned and compared unfavorably to the Australian A-league by many in the European media and to the Mexican League by many here at home, the MVP’s of both those leagues last season are now playing in MLS. Fred formerly of the Melbourne Victory and now an above average role player (but by no measure the best player on his team let alone the league) for DC United, and the incomparable Blanco who led Club America to the Apetura Playoffs finals last season and now if strutting his world class stuff for the Chicago Fire.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more