London (AFP) – Premier League strugglers Cardiff signed Nantes striker Emiliano Sala for a club record fee reported to be around £15 million ($19 million) on Saturday.
Cardiff confirmed the deal just hours after a damaging 3-0 defeat at Newcastle that saw the Bluebirds drop into the relegation zone.
Argentina-born Sala, who had been at Nantes since 2016, has signed a three-and-a-half year contract which is subject to receiving international clearance.
“I’m very happy to be here. It gives me great pleasure and I can’t wait to start training, meet my new team-mates and get down to work,” Sala said.
“For me it feels special (to be the club’s record signing). I have come here wanting to work and to help my team-mates and the club.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season