Berlin (AFP) – Felix Goetze, the 18-year-old younger brother of Germany star Mario, has been included in Bayern Munich’s ‘B’ list of players eligible to feature for the Bundesliga giants in the Champions League.
A central defender with Bayern’s under-19 side, Felix had already been invited to train with the first team several times last season by then-coach Pep Guardiola.
Current coach Carlo Ancelotti played him three times during pre-season, including in a 1-0 win at home to Manchester City in July.
Goetze, whose brother Mario left Bayern to return to former club Borussia Dortmund in the close season, is one of eight youngsters named on Bayern’s ‘B’ list.
The list, a supplement to the main Champions League squad of 25, can include any player born in 1995 or later and who has spent at least two years at the club.
Bayern begin their Champions League campaign at home to Rostov on September 13 and will also face Atletico Madrid and PSV Eindhoven in Group D.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $10.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $14.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo