Arsenal secured an astonishing 3-2 over Bournemouth at the Emirates on Sunday afternoon thanks to Reiss Nelson’s 97th-minute goal.

His finish was the last kick of a stunning game where momentum swung both ways.

The Premier League leaders were heading towards a shock loss when they found themselves 2-0 down in the 57th minute. The Gunners rallied to score twice in eight minutes to set up a grandstand finish.

After dogged defense from the visitors, Nelson sent his volley into the net to cap off a memorable win for the North London side.

Shock start at the Emirates

Phillip Billing scored just after 9 seconds to give the visitors a shock lead right from the kickoff.

The Danish midfielder scored from just six yards out following Dominic Solanke’s low cross from the right. Billing’s strike was also the second-fastest goal in the history of the Premier League.

Arsenal should have restored parity just two minutes later but Bukayo Saka’s goal-bound effort was saved by Cherries keeper Neto in what was a frantic opening to the game.

Bournemouth should have been 2-0 up in the 20th minute, but Aaron Ramsdale spared the blushes for the hosts with a huge save keeping out Dango Ouattara’s effort.

Solanke was then guilty of squandering another huge opportunity just before halftime when he mishit his effort after being played through on goal from Billing.

The Gunners looked short of ideas as they struggled to create any clear-cut openings.

It soon went from bad to worse after the restart as Bournemouth went 2-0 up when centre-back Marcos Senesi scored with his header following a corner in the 57th minute.

Arsenal launch epic comeback

The goal proved to be a wakeup call for Mikel Arteta’s side as five minutes later Thomas Partey made it 2-1 following Emile Smith Rowe’s header back into the six-yard box.

Ben White then restored parity in the 70th minute with a deft volley that crossed the line before Bournemouth keeper Neto had the chance to make the save.

It was all Arsenal from that point on as Arteta’s side pushed for the winner.

Saka hit the post before Garbiel Martinelli flashed his strike wide from 15 yards out. As the game looked destined for a draw, Nelson won it for the home side with a brilliant left-footed volley from Oleksandr Zinchenko’s corner.

The result means Arsenal regain their five-point lead over reigning Champions Manchester City at the summit of the table after the latter had beaten Newcastle United at home earlier on the day.

Photo credit: IMAGO / Colorsport