With the US rights to the German Bundesliga scheduled to expire at the end of this current season, Spanish-language broadcaster TUDN has expressed an interest in renewing the deal to continue broadcasting the league to viewers across the United States.
Currently, the English-language rights are with FOX Sports while TUDN and FOX Deportes share the Spanish-language rights to the German top flight league. However, it has been reported that ESPN+ is in the process of acquiring the English-language rights to the games for the 2020/21 season onwards.
What hasn’t been mentioned is the status of the Spanish-language rights deal. Until now.
Speaking exclusively to World Soccer Talk, TUDN President of Sports Juan Carlos Rodriguez said, “We love our friends from the Bundesliga in many ways. They’re an incredibly professional group of executives. Their product is very valuable; I believe it’s a bit underestimated across the markets. It’s a very good property.
Asked whether TUDN was interested in renewing the rights, Rodriguez responded, “We can tell you that we’re in the process of discussions.”
TUDN is the rebranded Univision Deportes Network, which has built a soccer empire with a foundation of solid Liga MX coverage across its range of networks that include Univision, TUDN, Galavision and UniMas.
“It was a natural evolution for the network because the more relevant soccer becomes in the US, the more relevant Liga MX will become in [this country],” explained Rodriguez. “Even though we are incredibly proud of our partnership with the MLS and super fond of it and happy about it and proud about it, Liga MX has taken a very impressive role for the future because having these games on in prime-time, on weekends, we believe that a huge volume of soccer will be driven by Liga MX, regardless of language.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Roma and Feyenoord hoping to turn the corner in Conference League final
- Chelsea tickets on sale for U.S. friendlies
- Man City title miracle all part of Pep’s plan
- Hertha Berlin keep Bundesliga status with play-off win at Hamburg
- Italy face Argentina in UEFA vs CONMEBOL final on FS1
- Spinazzola makes Italy return for ‘Finalissima’ and Nations League
- Ukraine will be ready for World Cup play-off: Scotland boss Clarke
- Avram Glazer defends Man Utd reign after troubled season
- Mbappe says he consulted Macron over PSG deal
- West Ham’s Zouma in court over ‘cat abuse’ video