Southampton have made an official complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg, accusing him of verbally abusing club captain Adam Lallana during the match against Everton last weekend.
Lallana claims that the abuse from Clattenburg was of a personal nature. The complaint was filed with PGMOL — the referee body for the Premier League — on New Year’s Eve.
The Saints have asked for an apology from Clattenburg as well as a request that he doesn’t referee any of their games until the outcome of the investigation is complete.
This isn’t the first time that Clattenburg has been involved in controversy. Last year, Chelsea filed a complaint against Clattenburg, alleging that he used a racist slur in a match at Stamford Bridge. Clattenburg was found to be innocent.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Southampton make official complaint after accusing referee Mark Clattenburg of verbally abusing Lallana — Mirror
- Chelsea plan second bid for Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuaín after having £50 million offer rejected — Telegraph
- Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert says clubs could do without FA Cup — BBC Sport
- Manchester United in need of fresh faces and more from those within — The Guardian
- Everton open talks to sign Spartak Moscow winger Aiden McGeady — talkSPORT
- Crystal Palace’s Jonathan Williams a target for Cardiff — The Mirror
- Chelsea’s Bertrand Traore will join Vitesse Arnhem on loan until the end of the season — Chelsea FC
- Everton’s Nikica Jelavic and Asamoah Gyan of Al-Ain are targets for West Ham — The Mirror
- Mark Hughes fined £8,000 for red card outburst — The Independent
- Raheem Sterling may join Swansea on loan — The Mirror
- David Dunn: ‘Blackburn are miles away from the stuff that happened before’ — The Guardian
- Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Jermaine Jones didn’t travel to Doha — Schalke
- Bayern Munich hot on Chelsea Star Daniel Luiz — Bild
- Paul Pogba: ‘Serie A is extraordinary’ — Football Italia
- Roma and U.S. international Michael Bradley not moving in January transfer window — Pro Soccer Talk
- Real Madrid to keep January transfer window shut, says Carlo Ancelotti — The Guardian
- Wilson Palacios is wanted by Real Betis — The Mirror
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo