New Delhi (AFP) – Welsh football legend Ryan Giggs will return to the pitch as a player in the inaugural Premier Futsal starting in India this week, the organisers announced Wednesday.
Brazilian star Ronaldinho and former AC Milan striker Hernan Crespo have also signed up for the event beginning in Chennai on Friday.
Giggs, 42, recently left his assistant manager’s role at Old Trafford following the arrival of former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.
“History waiting to be written! Ryan Giggs, Ronaldinho and Crespo are now part of the Premier Futsal family!” the organisers tweeted Wednesday.
The tournament, which is the latest franchise-based sporting competition in India, will see six teams with five players each lock horns in the indoor competition.
Each team will be led by a marquee player with Giggs helming Mumbai and England great Paul Scholes, who was signed up last month, leading Bangalore.
Giggs enjoyed a remarkable career with Manchester United between 1990 and 2014, netting 168 goals in 963 appearances.
The Futsal has run foul of India’s national football body, which runs its own Indian Super League and has advised domestic players to keep away from the event.
Futsal organisers insist it is a private league and does not require any authorisation from the All India Football Federation.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $10.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $14.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo