Amsterdam (AFP) – On-loan Chelsea forward Bertrand Traore scored twice and grabbed an assist as Ajax trounced Lyon 4-1 in the first leg of Wednesday’s Europa League semi-final.
The Burkina Faso international nodded Ajax ahead after 25 minutes at the Amsterdam Arena before Danish teenager Kasper Dolberg rifled in a second from Traore’s towering header.
Amin Younes struck just after half-time as Ajax tormented the visiting defence and although Mathieu Valbuena pulled a goal back for Lyon, Traore capped a convincing win with the hosts’ fourth on 71 minutes.
Lyon brought on leading scorer Alexandre Lacazette, who was only fit enough to come off the bench after nursing a hamstring injury, for the final quarter hour, but Ajax are clear favourites to reach the final in Stockholm on May 24.
The Dutch giants are seeking a first appearance in a European final since losing to Juventus on penalties in the 1996 Champions League showpiece, with Lyon facing a monumental task to turn the tie around in next Thursday’s return leg in France.
Three-time European champions Manchester United travel to Celta Vigo of Spain in Thursday’s second semi-final. Jose Mourinho has confirmed that Paul Pogba, Eric Bailly and Juan Mata will all be available after injury.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season