London (AFP) – South Africa midfielder Steven Pienaar is training with Sunderland as he tries to win a contract with the Premier League club.
New Sunderland manager David Moyes signed Pienaar when he was in charge at Everton in 2008 and the Scot is keen to see what his former player has to offer.
The 34-year-old was released by Everton at the end of last season after scoring 25 goals in 230 appearances during two spells on Merseyside.
Pienaar, who had been linked with a move to Orlando Pirates, is keen to prove his fitness after injuries severely disrupted the final 18 months of his time at Everton.
The former Ajax, Borussia Dortmund and Tottenham Hotspur player could become Sunderland’s first signing since last season, while Moyes has also taken ex-Aston Villa midfielder Charles N’Zogbia on trial.
Moyes took over from new England boss Sam Allardyce last month and he has less than two weeks to add to his squad before Sunderland kick off their Premier League campaign at Manchester City.
“We want to get it right, so it’s important that we get people who know the Premier League and how it work,” Moyes said.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $10.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $14.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo