Manchester (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho unexpectedly brought Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Jesse Lingard into his starting XI for Saturday’s hotly anticipated derby against Manchester City.
Armenian playmaker Mkhitaryan, a 26 million pounds ($34.5 million, 30.7 million euros) signing from Borussia Dortmund, made his first start of the season in place of Anthony Martial.
Lingard replaced Juan Mata, having not played since scoring in United’s 2-1 Community Shield win over Leicester City.
United were otherwise unchanged from their 1-0 win at Hull City, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic up front and world-record 89 million pounds signing Paul Pogba in midfield.
City manager Pep Guardiola handed a debut to new Chilean goalkeeper Claudio Bravo, who signed from Barcelona prior to the international break.
Teenage Nigerian striker Kelechi Iheanacho came into the team in place of the suspended Sergio Aguero, who is starting a three-game ban for elbowing West Ham United’s Winston Reid.
Bacary Sagna made his return from a hamstring problem at right-back, while close-season signing Leroy Sane, who is yet to make his City debut due to injury, was named on the bench.
Both teams have won their first three games of the Premier League season, along with Chelsea.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season