After losing 4-0 at home to the Colorado Rapids last week, FC Dallas wasted no time trying to regain form as they scored just 30 seconds into their match against Toronto FC, a match that started Saturday night but ended early Sunday morning.

Dallas midfielder Fabian Castillo ran onto a long pass from left back Moises Hernandez and squeezed a right-footed shot between the near post and Toronto goalkeeper Joe Bendik to open the scoring. Toronto barely recovered from Castillo’s opening minute strike before the Colombian scored again in the 10th minute. Blas Perez sliced a precise diagonal pass into the box, which Castillo finished with a curling shot just inside the far post to make it 2-0.

Just as the game seemed to settle into a midfield quagmire, Dallas’ Je-Vaughn Watson made a long throw-in, which Toronto’s Ashtone Morgan accidentally headed backwards into his own box. Toronto center back Damien Perquis then tried to run the ball out of danger, but was obstructed by teammate Collen Warner, allowing Blas Perez to steal the ball and smash it underneath Bendik for FC Dallas’ third goal (27’).

Three minutes before halftime, heavy rain and lightning strikes suspended play. Half of the stadium’s lights went out temporarily as the 16,176 fans in attendance quickly abandoned the stands. Ongoing lightning stretched the weather delay to nearly three-and-a-half hours.

Play finally resumed near midnight with the last three minutes of the first half, highlighted only by Jackson’s shot for Toronto, which was cleared off the line by Dallas’ Zach Loyd. Frustratingly for all observers that remained through the long delay, the teams then returned to the locker room for the mandatory regular 15-minute “halftime”.

Toronto produced a few mild scoring chances early in the second half, but came up empty. Their frustration mounted as the half wore on, evidenced by Michael Bradley’s yellow card for a hard tackle on Je-Vaughn Watson in the 70th minute.

Sebastian Giovinco spiced up the proceedings with an 83rd minute goal, darting along the end line and beating Seitz at the near post. Six minutes later, Giovinco converted a free kick (after being fouled by Watson) with a terrific shot in the upper left corner.

Toronto’s two late goals made for tense stoppage time, but FC Dallas held on for the 3-2 home win – their fourth win of the season and Toronto’s fourth consecutive defeat. FC Dallas remains in second place (behind Vancouver) in the Western Conference with 13 points, while Toronto is in ninth place in the Eastern Conference with three points. Both teams play on the road next: FC Dallas at Colorado on Friday (April 24) and Toronto at Orlando on Sunday (April 26).

Mobile app users, watch the highlights.