Buenos Aires (AFP) – Hundreds of people on Thursday began filing in to see the coffin of Diego Maradona in Buenos Aires’ Casa Rosada after the football legend died at the age of 60.
At a slow pace, people passed in front of the coffin that was draped with the Argentine flag and his number 10 jersey.
Scuffles briefly broke out as crowds jostled as they queued to enter and police had to hold people back.
Maradona’s family and closest friends came at dawn before the start of the public wake.
Tens of thousands of people spent the night in a vigil in the Plaza de Mayo, singing songs in tribute to Maradona, who led Argentina to the World Cup in 1986.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season