A depressingly and alarmingly familiar pattern has begun to show for the USMNT. A fast start and late collapse has been the norm since the World Cup (one could even argue that it dates back to before the World Cup to when the US played Turkey). In five of the eight games since the World Cup, the US has jumped out to a first half lead only to surrender it in the second half. The US has scored only one goal in the second half while conceding eleven, seven of which have come in the last ten minutes. Furthermore, the US has been outshot in every game since the World Cup, except for one (away to Republic of Ireland, possibly the worst game in a long time for the US). These issues must be sorted out if they intend to cope with Switzerland and have a good Gold Cup this summer.
Believe it or not, there were some positives to be taken from this latest US loss. First and foremost is the continued resurgence of Jozy Altidore, who scored his goal out of nothing and then played set up man for Aron Johannsson on his goal. The other big positive is that Michael Bradley seems to be back to his old self. His ball over the top to Altidore was what allowed Jozy to set up Johannsson. Even with the last kick of the game, Bradley sent in a dangerous ball off a free kick that John Brooks should have headed home for the equalizer.
But for now, the US must put the last game out of their mind and focus on a dangerous Swiss team. Switzerland made it to the Round of 16 at the World Cup, and came so very close to taking Argentina to penalties. The Swiss are currently in third place in Group E of Euro 2016 Qualifying. The man to watch for Switzerland is Xherdan Shaqiri who turned a good World Cup into a miserable time at Bayern Munich and is now at Inter Milan. Switzerland comes into this game unbeaten in four straight and won three of those four.
- US Soccer announced that former German national team coach Berti Vogts has been named Technical Advisor. Vogts was a special advisor for the US at the World Cup.
- After going unbeaten in his first eleven starts, Nick Rimando has now lost two of his last three.
- Michael Bradley scored his first international goal against Switzerland in 2007.
- Jozy Altidore has now scored in four of his last six appearances for the US.
USA trails 1-3-3
St. Jakob Park
0 Switzerland USA 1
Next Game Up
USA vs. Mexico
San Antonio, Texas
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family