Vincent Kompany could feature for Belgium in Tuesday’s Euro 2016 qualifying clash with Israel in Brussels. The center back has missed the last five games in all competitions for Manchester City due to a calf problem, and prior to the current international break, Blues manager Manuel Pellegrini’s verdict on Kompany, with regard to his chances of being involved in his country’s forthcoming matches against Andorra and Israel , was “he cannot play”.
However, Belgium boss Marc Wilmots said around that time after naming Kompany in his squad that the player was “fit” and had a “big chance” to play against Israel. And at his press conference on Monday to preview that game, Wilmots, quoted on the official Twitter feed of the Belgian national team, said: “Vincent is fit, but we’ll wait (on) the outcome of the training to decide if he will play.”
MORE EPL INJURIES: Knee sidelines Krul for season | Aguero picks up hamstring injury
Wilmots’ men sealed their Euro 2016 place on Saturday when they beat Andorra, a match Kompany sat out.
What Pellegrini will make of it if the 29-year-old defender, who is captain of both his club and country, gets a run-out against Israel remains to be seen. But the Chilean said when speaking on the matter on October 2:
“Of course it’s outside the control of any club manager. The national team have a list of the players that play for them and they have, in the international break, the authority to use them.
“We can’t do anything about that because they have the decision – but he cannot play.
“I hope that Vincent can return (to action) after the international break but I am not sure. I hope that after 15 days he will be able to play but the calf is a difficult muscle.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season