The Hague (AFP) – Dutch striker and record goalscorer Robin van Persie is heading home to rejoin his boyhood club Feyenoord, Dutch media reported Friday.
“Not everything is completely sorted out yet, but it seems to be moving in the right direction,” a club official told the ANP news agency.
Van Persie is expected to undergo a medical at the weekend, Dutch media added.
The 34-year-old former Arsenal captain and ex-Manchester United star is still under contract with Turkish giants Fenerbahce.
He was recalled to the Dutch national team in August, even though he had not donned the Dutch jersey since 2015.
But he suffered a knee injury after his surprise international return which has kept him off the field for the Istanbul club since.
Once named as the Dutch Football Association’s young talent of the year, Van Persie remains the country’s top all-timer scorer having scored 50 goals in 102 internationals.
After starting out with Excelsior, he made his debut for Feyenoord in 2002, before transferring to Arsenal in 2004, eventually becoming captain in 2011-2012.
He transferred to Manchester United in August 2012 for a fee of over £27 million (30 million euros). He moved to Fenerbahce in July 2015.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season