Rome (AFP) – Iconic Roma captain Francesco Totti has signed a new one-year contract to play a 25th season with the Serie A side, the club announced on Tuesday.
Totti, who turns 40 in September, began his Serie A career with Roma in 1993, playing 601 matches for the club — only surpassed in the Italian top flight by Paolo Maldini’s 647 with AC Milan and Javier Zanetti’s 615 for Inter Milan.
The veteran playmaker has had a tense relationship with coach Luciano Spalletti in recent times and speculation had been rife he could be forced out.
But his hopes of earning a final year’s deal were boosted late in the season when he came off the bench to score crucial goals for Roma as they finished third in Serie A.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo