Southampton have completed the loan signing of QPR defender Steven Caulker, Press Association Sport understands.
Toby Alderweireld's decision to join Tottenham and a serious knee injury sustained by Florin Gardos has heightened the need to bring in defensive reinforcements at St Mary's.
Saints manager Ronald Koeman has spoken of his wish to acquire at least one more centre-back, as well as add some extra height in defence – a role it appears Caulker will now help fill.
Signed by QPR last summer, reports suggest Caulker moves with a view to an £8million permanent transfer – the amount QPR paid to bring him in from Cardiff last year.
The center-back will be looking to avoid a third straight relegation from the Premier League at Saints and to add to his sole England cap won three years ago.
“I’m very pleased and very excited. This club has done fantastically well, especially over the last two years.
“To now join this club and to be a part of it for this year is something I’ve proud of.
“As soon as I got the phone call to say a fee was agreed with Southampton, I was delighted to get the opportunity to come and play under a great manager.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season