Barcelona (AFP) – Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic celebrated the Catalans’ extraordinary Champions League comeback against Paris Saint-Germain by extending his contract at the Camp Nou until 2021 on Thursday.
Rakitic, 28, started on Wednesday as Barca recovered from a 4-0 first-leg thrashing to beat the French champions 6-1 and reach the quarter-finals for a 10th consecutive season.
“Barcelona can announce they have reached an agreement with Ivan Rakitic for the renewal of his contract until June 30, 2021,” Barca said in a statement.
“His release clause will be set at 125 million euros ($132.5 million).”
Rakitic has won eight trophies since joining Barcelona from Sevilla in 2014.
Among his 23 goals in 145 appearances was the opener as Barca beat Juventus 3-1 in the 2015 Champions League final.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season